Wednesday 6 October 2010

Reflection of todays lesson

Today I finalised my chosen question/title for my critical investigation.

''How is martial arts represented in the film industry and how does it effect its viewers?''

However, other students had suggested titles and options where my question could contain a deeper and wider exploration and gave me better options to explore a specific theme within martial arts films which would make my investigation easier.

One of the options I had given to me was to add the theory of feminism..
''Martial arts is mainly based around males, why are females so rarely represented in movies even though they participate in martial arts in reality?''
I think that this question is a great area to focus on as it is quite specific and would be great to research on as I can access information and evidence through my knowledge and experience of this situation.
Although this is a completely different area to my own chosen question, I think this question would be easier and specific.

I also had the suggestion of exploring a film in particular and the ways it has improved throughout the years could be a topic I could explore..
''How has the development of 'The Karate Kid' film changed? What affect has it had on its audience? Are older versions of this movie more successful than the new?
This question could also be a better area to look at because I have watched all of The Karate Kid films many times. I could also apply some historical context to the older versions of the film.

I have realised that the two options I was given by others would be better for me to investigate as the areas are more specific. I will now research into both questions and find out which one would be easier and convenient for me to discover.

1 comment:

  1. Great that you have begun to settle on an area of research. However, I am a little concerned that even now this looks a little bit vague.

    The role of women in marital arts films is a genuinely interesting area to investigate - however, I do not agree that women are under represented now on the contrary there are some very high profile examples which can be quoted not least: House of Flying Daggers, Kill Bill (1&2), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, The Matrix to name but 5 though all of these films are too old (more than 5 years) to be your primary text. There is however a huge difference between these films and those made in the seventies and before when no women would be involved in fighting.

    Could there be a good comparison between the recent Karate Kid (2010) and the earlier film with The Next Karate Kid (1994) with Hilary Swank - who went on to make the boxing film Million Dollar Baby....

    Please bring your research tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete