Wednesday 19 January 2011

Linked production planning - Representation of teenage girl taking part in Taekwondo.

I am planning to do a documentary on the representation of a teenage girl who takes part in an popular olympic sport; Taekwondo. The audience for this documentary is aimed at everyone even if it is representing female attitudes.

I will focus on the two sides of her life, which consist of her normal relaxed home/social life and the other on her training and championship lifestyle, which i will aim to represent as very tense. I will ask her questions such as how she feels towards her training..

- Is it helping her life?
- Does she feel confident and independant?
- What she thinks of women represented in martial arts/sports movies. Are they being exaggerated? What are her favourite movies or memorable clips
- How does she balance her training and her busy college lifestyle?
- What made her join Taekwondo and what do her friends think of it?
-Will she carry on doing this sport and what are her aspirations? Does Taekwondo help achieve them ?
and so on..

I will film clips of her at training, at a very normal everyday session of Taekwondo.
I will film clips of her competing at a local championship. Focusing on facial expressions, gestures and techniques she uses to compete and prepare for her competition.
I will also ask her coach and club members about their views on women/girls competing and taking part in Taekwondo. The audience and parents will also be included in some parts.
The filming I will record of her everyday life will be out and after the club, at home or her social life. I want there to be a obvious contrast between her life outside Taekwondo and herself training, so the audience can see how she balances this sort of lifestyle.
As my critical investigation contains theories of Feminism and the Male Gaze, I will do some filming of male members fighting and interviews where they will express their views on females taking part in Taekwondo.

The props I will use to make my documentary appear more dramatic will be lighting during fighting. However I will not need extra lighting for home and indoor filming as documentaries use natrual lighting. I will use a tripod most of the time during all filming for precise filming and frames. I will need a good microphone for good sound when interviewing people during filming.

I believe that making this documentary a success will consist mostly of the editing process, which will determine the message it gets across to the audience.

1 comment: